Types of Top Level Domains
gTLD – Generic Top-Level Domains are the most common domain names. These include .com, .net, .org, .biz, .info, and many more..
ccTLD – Country Code Top-Level Domains are specifically for a single country’s use. The country can put any restrictions on it according to them. Some countries only allow citizens to register domains under their ccTLD.
sTLD – Sponsored Top-Level Domains are a subdivision of gTLDs. These names are controlled by specific agencies within an industry. For example, newAsia Restricted to the Pan-Asia and Asia Pacific communitNew
gTLDs – New Generic Top Level Domains are top-level domains unquestionably makes it easier to get a memorable domain name. Like .style , .forum , .football, .food , .education, .cafe , .hotel , .earth and many more.
Most Common TLDs
The following list depicts some of the most popular TLDs and their intended uses.
• .com (commercial) – The most popular TLD, .com was meant to be used for commercial purposes, but is now used for virtually every cause imaginable.
• .net (network) – Intended for network websites, this TLD is also commonly misused for a variety of purposes.
• .org (organization) – Another commonly misused TLD, .org was originally meant for sites that represent organizations and non-profits.
• .edu (education) – This is usually used by colleges and other educational institutions, and it is not typically available for public registration.
• .mil (military) – Restricted to military use only, .mil is not available for public registration.
• .gov (government) – Restricted to government use only, .gov is not available for public registration.
• .co (company) – A newly launched TLD, .co is speculated to become popular and a runner-up alternative to .com.
• .biz (business) – This is one of the rarer TLDs on the list. .biz is intended for business use, but its popularity pales in comparison to the .com TLD.
• .info (informational) – This TLD has gained a lot of popularity because, surprisingly, it has the potential to rank highly in the search engines, even though registration only costs about a dollar.
• .me (personal) – The least common on this list, .me is often used for personal websites.