Joomla is one of the longest and most popular FREE open source projects next to WordPress.
As it continues to thrive in 2015, Joomla remains the second most popular content management system (CMS), behind only WordPress.
Reasons to choose Joomla to include:
- Social Networking – This is perhaps the biggest benefit of Joomla. Of the three, Joomla makes it the easiest to create social networks. Social networks can be a powerful asset for many sites, and with Joomla, you can have one up and running extremely quickly and easily.
- Commerce Sites – If you want to set up an online store; that is also very simple with Joomla. While it is certainly possible with Drupal and WordPress, Joomla makes it faster and easier and has more native support for these types of things.
- Not too Technical – Joomla has, in many people’s opinions, found that middle ground between the ease of managing a WordPress website, and the power of a Drupal site. Most people will be able to run a great Joomla site without any significant technical support, though there may be some issues which you’ll need to reach out for help on.
- Help Portal – Joomla offers a great help portal for asking questions and getting technical support. It isn’t going to be as fast or extensive as the community-based support pages of WordPress, but it is quicker (and cheaper) than technical assistance most people get for Drupal.
- Free – Like Drupal, Joomla is free to use on your web servers, but there is no option to have it hosted for free like WordPress offers.
Many Joomla users love Joomla because it is powerful, yet easy to use. Joomla has done an excellent job at combining the benefits of WordPress and Drupal and adding in some great features of its own.
It has been growing in popularity over the past several years, and it is likely to continue to do so. Joomla seems to have found a big market of people who are ready for something a little more powerful than WordPress, but easier to manage than Drupal.