An addon domain links a new domain name to a subdirectory of your account’s public_html (document root) directory, and then stores its files in that subdirectory.
The addon domain will appear as a totally separate domain from your primary domain. There should be no evidence that your domain is an addon domain to incoming traffic when they visit your addon domain.
When you create an Addon domain, three things happen:
- a folder is created in the ‘public_html’ directory
- a subdomain is created for the primary domain and attached to the new folder
- the new domain name is associated with the subdomain
For example, if the primary domain was xyz.com’ and you assign the Addon Domain 789.com’ to the folder ‘123’, the following routes (URLs) would be true:
All three of these paths would access the same directory and show the same website. However, in concern to your site’s viewers going to 789.com, there is no evidence that they are being routed through 789.xyz.com, and everything will function as normally.
What can I use an add-on domain for?
An add-on domain has the same functionality as a full hosting subscription. You can use it to:
- Create another website – You can make a second website with Website Builder, create email addresses and set up a Gallery. Though you share the disk space of the hosting package, an add-on domain has a separate space and FTP login.
- Attract more visitors with a redirect – You can redirect an add-on domain to your existing website to generate more traffic. For example, register a domain with a common misspelling of your primary domain. That way your visitors will still end up on your website, even if they have typed your domain wrong.
Let’s have a look at the characteristics of Addon Domain:
|The Addon domain appears in the address bar.||Yes|
|The domain uses following Apache directive||Virtual Host|
|The domain uses separate logs.||Yes|
|The domain uses separate stats.||Yes|
|The system treats the domain as a subdomain (other than the URL).||Yes|
|This type of domain is ideal for multiple domains that share the same address.||No|
You can also check out how to manage Addon domains in cPanel?