Reviewed By: Anuradha Chawla
SiteGround has tons of customers. SiteGround is recommended by many on different blogs and forums. They offer a variety of services from basic web hosting up to dedicated servers and virtually everything in between.
The term “high quality” is synonymous with the SiteGround brand, but don’t let that have you thinking their hosting packages are unaffordable. Quite the contrary, SiteGround’s pricing remains competitive and of course, you can’t put a price on their network reliability.
With a range of hosting plans, there’s something to suit everybody, so you’re less likely to be paying for extras that you don’t need.
Let’s dig a deeper look into the company
SiteGround is well-known for their reliability, primarily because of the amount of experience they have in the web hosting industry.
SiteGround was founded in August 2003 by an enthusiastic team of IT professionals. Since then, SiteGround is steadily growing both in some employees and clients. They are based in Bulgaria but serve hosting markets globally.
Now, SiteGround has become one of the most preferred hosting providers, serving more than 250,000 websites. SiteGround’s success is due to their profound technical expertise and unmatched quality of customer care.
SiteGround Hosting Plans and Pricing
SiteGround positions themselves as a company offering high-quality, “well-crafted” hosting solutions. They offer a spectrum of hosting solutions ranging from shared Linux hosting (the affordable, versatile kind used by most websites) all the way to Cloud and Dedicated server solutions for large, growing sites.
SiteGround provides some exciting hosting packages based on what e-commerce platform you want to use for your store, and how big you expect your business to grow.
- There’s standard WordPress hosting. This is the hosting package that SiteGround has built their reputation on top. Easy to use, and has all the features you’d need for a standard WordPress site.
- There’s special WooCommerce hosting, which is a version of the standard WordPress hosting plan. (Remember, WooCommerce runs on WordPress.)
For entry-level hosting, though, and online stores that are just starting out, this type of hosting will serve you very well.
In case, of advanced hosting setups, you might want to look into dedicated servers or cloud hosting. Still very reasonable prices, comparable to what the competition offers.
SiteGround has three main tiers when it comes to their entry-level hosting:
Now, the most sensible plan for an e-commerce store running on WooCommerce would be the top one – called GoGeek – $14.95 / month.
It’s the plan that gives you:
- free PCI compliance,
- free SSL certificate,
- comes with improved speed, security,
- and can handle up to 100,000 visitors/month.
The SiteGround team calls it their “semi-dedicated” hosting. It’s because although it’s still a shared plan, there’s a limited number of users hosted on each server. Due to this, you get up to 4 times more server resources than customers on the lower tiers.
I know that the cheaper, $3.95 / month plan might be tempting, but it’s missing some crucial parameters. Notably, the PCI compliance, the SSL, and the priority backups. In short, you won’t be able to launch a serious e-commerce store with it. That’s why I advise going for the GoGeek plan right out the gate.
Features in SiteGround e-commerce hosting
Here’s what you get with SiteGround e-commerce hosting:
- Free PCI compliance depending on the plan you select.
- Free SSL certificate also depending on the plan you select.
- Up to 30GB of disk space on the server.
- Server configuration is optimized for speed: RAID10, SAS HDD, MySQL on separate SSD, 24 CPU cores.
- Priority daily backups that include the storage of 30 copies and free manual restore.
- Priority support depending on the plan you select.
- Free domain name during sign-up.
- You can set up unlimited websites and MySQL databases.
- Can handle up to 100,000 visitors/month.
- Good security with power and hardware redundancy, server monitoring, SPAM prevention, anti-hack systems, and more.
- Data centers in Europe, United States, and Singapore.
Performance Speed and Time
SiteGround offers good speed and uptime with data centers located across three continents: Asia (Singapore), Europe (Amsterdam), and North America (Chicago). You can select the data center that is closest to your target audience to give them faster access to your website.
The SiteGround team continuously experiments with different configurations and keeps upgrading their hardware and server architecture for their dedicated servers. They ensure that their hosted accounts are instantly migrated to the latest hardware configurations after upgrades. This makes their server performance optimum at all times.
SiteGround offers an uptime guarantee of 99.9%, which means a very negligible down time. They can achieve this with the help of their custom server monitoring software.
This software monitors the status of every server in real-time and also minimizes downtime by automatically resolving more than 90% of the server performance issues that come up, without human interaction.
Control Panel Options
You get the industry standard cPanel, which gives you access to the Softaculous auto-installer, along with their custom installs for WordPress, Joomla, and Magento. The cPanel is easily accessible from the general billing client area of your hosting account.
You get access to SiteGround’s SuperCacher (a web caching service) that has been specifically developed based on Varnish and Memcached. It makes retrieving web pages faster (by storing the page on the visitor’s browser cache when requested for the first time). Thus, it reduces the load on your server significantly.
You also get WordPress and Joomla Toolkits that enables you to easily modify your domain, reset admin passwords, fix any broken permissions, secure the admin page, configure SSL and move/delete your installation.
You can even use special developer features (GoGeek only) such as WP-CLI, Site Staging, and Drush and Git integration. Overall, the SiteGround control panel and hosting account offer a pool of features that make your work a lot easier.
Ease to set up SiteGround hosting
The good thing about SiteGround is that you get access to not only their easy-to-use 1-click installation tools but also a migration service for existing sites.
- So if you’re launching a new site, you can just sign up, pick your new domain (free with all SiteGround plans), use the 1-click installer for WordPress, add the WooCommerce plugin, and be all set in less than an hour.
- If you have an existing site that you want to move, just contact support, and SiteGround’s WordPress experts will take care of the migration, with no downtime for your website.
For more advanced users, you also get access to cPanel, where you can take care of all administrative tasks yourself.
Customer Help & Support
SiteGround offers 24/7 support via phone, chat, and tickets so even if you’re having issues with a bad gateway at 2 am you can ask for help. Plus, SiteGround has specially trained staff that can also help you with WordPress and plugin specific issues you might run into, so you know you’re getting accurate answers to all your questions
To deliver such outstanding services, SiteGround invests heavily in staffing numbers for every hour of the day. Should service fall below customer expectations, it only takes one click to escalate the problem to a senior advisor.
Pros of SiteGround e-commerce hosting
- Optimized to work with WordPress and WooCommerce. SiteGround has built their entire reputation by offering optimized WordPress hosting.
- Easy site installation and site migration.
- Good, server parameters on the GoGeek plan.
- Priority support. Good security mechanisms and policies. Plus, there are priority daily backups.
- Excellent reputation throughout the WordPress space. People are happy with their SiteGround hosting accounts.
- 30 Days Money Back Guarantee
- Free Daily Backup
Cons of SiteGround e-commerce hosting
- The Magento and OpenCart hosting plans seem to be no different than the standard shared hosting plans.
- You get PCI compliance and an SSL certificate but only on the most expensive shared plan.
- No monthly payment plans. A little on the pricier side.
- It does not offer a monthly subscription for shared hosting plans
In summary, SiteGround is a premium quality provider of hosting services with options to suit small start-up sites through to larger sites with complex needs. Their performance speeds and uptime reliability are exceptional as is their customer care offering, which is available around the clock.
With SiteGrounds 99.9 percent uptime guarantee, excellent customer support and 30 days money back guarantee, you can’t go wrong in trusting your site to SiteGround.
For more details and hosting info, visit SiteGround official website:
Have you used SiteGround’s hosting services? What were their best features and major disadvantages as per your experience? Let us know in the comments below, and thanks for reading!