Reviewed By: Anuradha Chawla
GreenGeeks is an independently owned web hosting company that provides shared, reseller, and dedicated server web hosting. We’ve found GreenGeeks to be a well-rounded web host offering numerous hosting plans that are both suitable for individuals and businesses.
Their shared hosting plans offer the best value, although upgrading to a VPS or dedicated hosting plan can get costly. In general, they have a good mix of features and we would recommend GreenGreeks as a good, all-purpose web host.
GreenGeeks is California’s own green energy web hosting service provider and was started in 2006 by its CEO Trey Gardner. A lot of webmasters have used GreenGeeks over the years, but what is the feedback about their service stating?
Their management team has over seven years of experience in providing an affordable and eco-friendly website host. This web hosting provider uses wind power, utilizing the natural force of nature.
GreenGeeks has proven that they have the ability to replace three times the energy used by their servers with wind power (much like Fatcow). So if you’re going to do business with them, you’re supporting the environment. Since I do live on earth, I do support good old mother nature.
GreenGeeks has accumulated a ton of awards over the years from various web hosting review websites. When I review a web hosting company, I like to look at some important factors.
I will be rating GreenGeeks on features, uptime, server speed, customer service, and last but not least cost. In this GreenGeeks review, I am going to show why I recommend their service over the other hundreds of web hosting companies.
Control Panel Options
GreenGeeks uses cPanel, the industry standard control panel that most web hosts use. They have no custom branding or colors on their cPanel and uses the default Paper Latern or X3 theme. If you’re familiar with cPanel, you’ll feel quite comfortable with GreenGeeks. It’s quite clean and has no (or very little) advertisements.
Servers, Network & Performance
GreenGeeks offers decent performance & reliability – especially with recent improvements that were made. As a GreenGeeks customer, you are allowed to choose from 1 of 4 different database locations – Chicago, Phoenix, Toronto, and Amsterdam. Each data center is SAS 70 Type 1 certified and is 300% wind powered. You can learn more about the GreenGeeks’ data center & server technology here.
The things I liked in GreenGeek
- A wide range of hosting plans suitable for all purpose hosting
- Recently upgraded server hardware & improved network infrastructure
- Easy backup and restoration procedures
- Increased bandwidth for shared hosting accounts
- Suitable for both amateurs and pros
- Great for Reseller hosting
- Customer support via an email ticket system, live chat, or phone
- Helpful video tutorials explaining how to do many popular tasks
The things I disliked in GreenGeek
- Expensive VPS and Dedicated hosting plans
- Phone support number is hard to find for logged in customers
- GreenGeek’s Website Builder is unique, yet not the best choice
- Complaints of billing/fraudulent issues
- Hefty renewal rates
Recently Added Features & Updates
- Upgraded Hardware – GreenGeeks has been working hard to improve their overall hosting speeds. They now have upgraded all server connectivity from 100Mpbs to 1 Gbps.
- Installation of SSD Accelerated RAID-10 Arrays – This has allowed GreenGeeks to see up to 100% increase in server performance. Furthermore, GreenGeeks informed us that they have upgraded their CPU’s and upped their minimum RAM per server to 32GB.
- FastCGI – GreenGeeks now uses FastCGI, which allows sites to take advantage of PHP caching. This results in faster page loads and lower I/O on the storage arrays which increases reliability as well.
Some Things to Consider Before You Purchase…
As with any web host, there are always pros and cons that you should consider. We’ve discussed many of the pros for GreenGeeks, but here’s a further explanation of the cons. These are things we feel GreenGeeks could improve for their customers:
- Expensive renewal rates – This is a common issue for many web hosts. Customers purchase a web hosting plan at a low introductory rate and then get slapped in the face when it comes time for renewal. GreenGeeks typically offers about 50% off during the first term so beware when it comes to renewal. We always recommend taking full advantage of the best pricing by purchasing the 3-year term so you have quite a bit of time to enjoy that great introductory price. Just remember that eventually, you’ll need to pay the regular rate.
- Costly Upgrade to a VPS or Dedicated Plan – GreenGeeks offers reasonably priced shared hosting, but when you’re site outgrows it and is ready for an upgrade to a VPS or Dedicated hosting plan, you’ll be faced with an expensive upgrade. Their VPS and Dedicated hosting plans are much higher priced and since you’d be an existing customer, you won’t be able to take advantage of the introductory pricing that you see listed on their website.
- GreenGeeks Website Builder – As we discussed earlier, the GreenGeeks web site builder is nice, but not the best choice. If you’re looking to use a website builder, there are better options available. GreenGeeks is a web host, suitable to build a website with a variety of other platforms – so take advantage of that!
- Complaints of Billing Issues – This is something that we’ve heard from a few GreenGeeks customers and is a serious issue, if true. There are numerous complaints on the internet about this as well. According to these incidents, it appears that GreenGeeks tends to overcharge customers or force customers to stay with their company by holding their domain name ransom. It’s always a good idea to read the TOS with GreenGeeks before you sign up. Especially when using a free domain name. It’s best to keep your domain name separate from your hosting account.
Conclusion – To Host or Not to Host?
As we reach the conclusion of our GreenGeeks review, we sincerely hope that it helped you decide whether or not you should host your site with them. Every site is different and you’ll need to determine if this web host best suits your needs. For further information about GreenGeeks, visit their website at www.greengeeks.com. If you found this review helpful, please like and share it!
Let Us Know Your Thoughts
We love hearing from actual GreenGeeks customers! If you have any positive or negative experience, please feel free to share it with us. You can email us your honest feedback about them [email protected]
For more details or to order GreenGeek, visit:
If you found this BlueHost review helpful, please share it on Facebook, Twitter, or any other social media sites. Thanks so much for taking the time to read this review.